Click on image for a better view:

Identified 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves (Maj. Gen.) Colonel Horatio Sickel's Tactics Book
Identified 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves (Maj. Gen.) Colonel Horatio Sickel's Tactics book- "U.S. Infantry & Rifle Tactics-Complete."
Published by J. B. Lippincott & Co. of Philadelphia. In very fine condition, this is really a superb identified early war tactics book.
Sickel was wounded 2/6/1865 Hatcher's Run, VA & 3/29/1865 at Lewis' Farm, VA.

$395.00 plus shipping

In 1861 Sickel volunteered for the Union army and was appointed captain (May 27) then colonel (July 28) of the 3rd Pennsylv Complete"ania Reserves. Sickel and his regiment joined the Army of the Potomac on the Virginia Peninsula in time for the Seven Days Battles. He led his regiment credibly at Mechanicsville and Gaines' Mill, receiving commendations from his brigade and division commanders, George G. Meade and George McCall.[1] He continued in command of the regiment through the battles of Second Bull Run and Fredericksburg. Shortly after Fredericksburg, he succeeded Meade in command of the Pennsylvania Reserve Division. Sickel and his division were stationed at Alexandria, Virginia on guard duty. While many of the Pennsylvania Reserves rejoined the Army of the Potomac for the Gettysburg campaign, Sickel stayed behind as commander of a brigade in the Department of Alexandria.

Sickel did not see action again until the Spring of 1864 when he was ordered to join the forces of George Crook operating in western Virginia, where he commanded the 3rd Brigade of Crook's Kanawha Division. At the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain, he led his men in a charge against the Confederate breastworks which succeeded in turning the enemy's flank. The following month the three-year enlistments of the 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves ran out. Sickel and the rest of his men were mustered out of the volunteer services on June 17, 1864. He immediately reenlisted and was appointed colonel of the 198th Pennsylvania Infantry. This command was ordered to the Petersburg front and upon arrival there, Sickel was placed in command of the 1st Brigade in the 1st Division of the V Corps. Two weeks later Sickel led his brigade into action at Poplar Springs Church. For his services there he was given a brevet promotion to brigadier general of volunteers on October 21, 1864. Sickel took a supporting role in the Battle of Boydton Plank Road but was again significantly engaged at Hatcher's Run. There he received a painful flesh wound in his left thigh on February 6, 1865. This wound bothered him for the remainder of his life. In November 1864 General Joshua L. Chamberlain, permanent commander of the 1st Brigade, returned to duty and Sickel reverted to regimental command. He was given a brevet promotion to major general on March 13, 1865. At the Battle of Quaker Road, Sickel "greatly distinguished himself", according to Chamberlain,..."and [behaved] in the most admirable manner."[1] He was again wounded at Quaker Road, having his horse shot out from under him. It was believed at the time that his arm would have to be amputated, his arm was saved but he lost his elbow. He mustered out of the volunteer service on June 4, 1865